Artist Of The Day: OC Ukeje I had a really challenging childhood




  I haven’t started Making Money Yet — OC Ukeje

Young, talented and vibrant, he clinched one of the most coveted awards at the maiden edition of the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) — Best Actor in a Movie — and has since received several offers for endorsement deals and more movie roles.

In this interview, OC Ukeje opens up on his acting career, his music career and personal matters.

 

What does OC stand for?

Okechukwu Chukwuemeka

 


OC101 
What effect has winning at AMVCA had on your career?

Winning has opened up a different version of exposure for me.  

I was in Malawi a couple of days ago and it was impressive to see people recognise me; I am grateful for that. A lot of people want to do interviews but I am working on a movie right now and I am scheduled for photo shoots, so it’s a tad difficult to juggle all that with work right now. A few producers have called concerning movie roles and I have been contacted regarding an endorsement deal and I know this is just the beginning, so I am indeed grateful.






 

OC6


 

What was the first name that popped into your head the moment your name was announced as winner of the Best Actor in a Drama category?

Ibukun Togonu, simply because she is the woman I hope to marry and she was out of the country at the time of the AMVCAs so I had no idea if she had already heard. I just wanted to call her immediately to give her the good news.

 


 OC5
 












You played a street urchin in Kenneth Gyang’s Confusion Na wa. How were you able to pull yourself into that character?

People see you on the outside and assume you are always the prim and proper guy you portray yourself as; and as much as I generally try to keep it prim and proper, I have my crazy and fun side. It’s not crazy like ridiculously crazy but I have my really fun side. I also grew up in Orile Iganmu and I have been to Ajegunle; I have been to the market so I basically had a rounded idea of what to do as a street urchin but of course I gave it my own twist here and there. One thing I was taught in the New York Film Academy is to always jot down things you witness around you because they may come in handy while playing a character.

 OC8

 
Have you had any formal training in acting?

I attended an acting workshop at the New York Film Academy. It was an eight-week workshop but I have had bits of informal training, such as the one with Norbert Young, a three-day intensive crash course organised by Amstel Malta, and the one with Rhythm of The Black Man before I started with stage plays.

 

 

OC11 
What was growing up like for you?

I have two siblings, an older brother and a younger sister. Growing up was pretty interesting. I was the one who always slept early. My dad was a caterer; he worked at the culinary school of Federal Palace Hotel. My mom was a civil servant but she has retired now. Though we lived in Orile Iganmu, we were kind of sheltered and never really let outside to play on the streets. You could say we had a sort of ‘cream’ upbringing even though people would assume that living in a rough area, we should in turn lead rough lives. But it didn’t turn out that way. I think it was good for us because now those things we passed through helped us find stability. We had our rough seasons when my dad lost his job and my mum was handling all the business of taking care of the children and then we lost the house as well and had to move in with our cousins. So it was 13 people living in a three-bedroom flat, which was very hectic. My dad passed on in 1997 and my mum got relocated to Abuja, so all the kids started living on their own in different parts of the country. It was a really challenging childhood.

 

Ramsey 
 Who do you look up to in the movie industry?

I have always had respect for Ramsey Noah. I think he has been phenomenal in his career and I also look up to RMD though he isn’t acting much now. And even though Ramsey and I have done Confusion Na Wa together, I still want to do a proper film with him. On the international scene, it would be such a dream to work with Leonardo DiCaprio and Denzel Washington. After working with those two, I will truly feel fulfilled as an actor. I do feel like I am on my way to acting with the world’s bests because I have had a scene with Hollywood actor Chiwetel Ejiofor in Half of a Yellow sun, the adaptation. Though a lot of scenes were cut out of the movie, mine were not cut because that was part of the agreement I signed with the team. I was reading for another character but when the list came out, someone else was given that role. So I was contacted about this other role and one of the perks was that my scenes were not going to be cut out and it was a good opportunity to act alongside people like Chiwetel; it’s good for your portfolio.

 

What female actor would you love to do a movie with?

I would love to act with Genevieve Nnaji. I have seen a couple of her movies and everything I have seen I have liked, so it would be a pleasure to work with her.
geneveive 

 

 
How do you unwind?

I pretty much like to lie in bed and watch a good movie. There are days I go out and hang with my friends but fun for me is really watching a good movie on my laptop.

 

What other awards have you won?

I have won the Africa Movie Academy Awards for the Best Upcoming Act (2008) and the 2010 City People Award. In 2006, I emerged winner of the Amstel Malta Box Office, a reality show for young actors.
What has been your most challenging film?

I would say White Waters because I had to portray a lot of emotions with very few words. It was also my first feature film after winning AMBO and I got to work with great accomplished stars so I really had to up my game.


What are your top five movies?

Gladiators, Legends of the Fall,Crash, Man on Fire and Warrior

 

What is your go-to fashion accessory?

A neck chain.


 Back to your award, do you think you deserved to win in the Best Actor in a Drama category?

Well, the public voted for me, so yes, I do deserve the award. Not all the award categories were voted for by the general public but this one was; and somehow, people voted for me. A couple of my friends went out of their way to ensure that their circles voted for me; they announced on Facebook, on Twitter and even sent out Blackberry broadcast messages on my behalf. The love was just overwhelming.
 Akintola-and-Ukeje-in-the-film
Share on Google Plus

About Abeedek

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment